nv-l

Re: memory usage

1999-12-07 08:47:44
Subject: Re: memory usage
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 08:47:44 -0500
Richard,

200MB which is tied to just that operator id  or 200 MB overall?

First, the 32MB figure was for additional users, not the first one.  The first
operator had a requirement of at least double that.  And as function grew in
NetView that figure was revised to 48M for each add'l operator in 4.1.2.  The
current 5.1 NetView Installation and Configuration Guide has formulas for
estimating memory usage and they also depend on the size of the database.  And
it says that the minimum you should expect for the first operator in 128MB.

I would look there for more information first.    Also, you have to take into
account any other processes which might be using memory, such as additional
applications (Nways, Ciscoworks, Optivity) and the fact that initially you have
web server processes starting too when the first GUI is started.

ovw is written to be as efficient as we know how, but I know of no way for an
application to release memory to another process.  The application does a free
when it is done with memory and it is up to the OS to reclaim it .

By the way, one of the biggest memory users in the GUI is the events display.
If you have users who start that but don't use it, they can make a big impact by
closing it down.

I think that if you want more performance and tuning help than what is
published, you will have to open a problem to Support.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

FITZINGER Richard <richard.fitzinger AT IT-AUSTRIA DOT COM> on 12/07/99
05:52:19 AM

      <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>