nv-l

Re: memory usage

1999-12-07 08:27:36
Subject: Re: memory usage
From: "Tremblay, David A." <dtremblay AT JHANCOCK DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 08:27:36 -0500
If I recall correctly, the teacher I had in NC told me that each additional
user interface takes up about 100 meg of memory per session and I believe
that may have been referring to Solaris.

Here at John Hancock, we had run into problems with running out of memory
with 5.1.2 for Solaris so we backed off to
5.1.1 and got some help from support in the way of a patch to fix a
different problem.

Our current configuration for our Production NetView Server is a Sun
Enterprise 3000 running Solaris 2.5.1 with all patches
applied and 2048 Meg of memory.

Everything has been running fine without a problem for almost 2 months now
and Operations can bring up 11 sessions if they
need to.

Dave

P.S.  You may want to look into the web interface piece for some of your
users, it takes up 10 times less resources than
an x-session would.  I also "heard" through the grapevine that the next
version web interface is supposed to be a greatly
improved product.