nv-l

Re: Ignore Category on Netview NT

1999-12-02 09:37:46
Subject: Re: Ignore Category on Netview NT
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 09:37:46 -0500
All traps received by trapd in NT go into the ODBC database, period.  There is
no way to exclude any of them.  If this is a feature you think should be added
to the product, then I would send a note to netview AT tivoli DOT com and
indicate why
you want this enhancement.  It will added to an enhancements database for future
consideration.  But you will hear no more about it unless it jut shows up in the
product one day.  If you want a more formal enhancement request, in which you
get a response from development about whether they agree with your request or
not (but not a date when they will provide it) then you can call Support or your
marketing rep and ask for an enhancement request to be opened.

It is just my opinion, but the fact that your database fills up merely indicates
to me that you are not providing a big enough one to do this historical
archiving anyway.  If you are really serious about this, then you should
probably plan to use SQL and create your own scripts to remove what you don't
want to keep.  Every database must be pruned sooner or later.  Even the TEC
database will eventually need to be pruned.

You will have to find your own solution here.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Paolo Sanesi <p.sanesi AT IT.IBM DOT COM> on 12/02/99 04:49:44 AM

      <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>