nv-l

Re: Customizing Traps - Variable for Hostname on Generic SNMP Tra p

1999-11-29 14:16:53
Subject: Re: Customizing Traps - Variable for Hostname on Generic SNMP Tra p
From: "Mull, John" <jmull AT HERSHEYS DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:16:53 -0500
James,

Thanks for the response.  Mapping $AGENT_ADDR to my TEC slot value by itself
works perfectly. The IP address maps correctly to the new TEC slot value.

However for some reason the other variable values such as nv_var1 are being
nulled out on my TEC event when I add this new slot.  Also, I attempted to
use the PRINTF function in the format I used in the tecad_nv6k.cds file with
no success.  Both the new slot value and other variable slots were empty.

I will keep testing, any other thoughts let me know.

Thanks again for your help.

John Mull
Hershey Foods

Generic SNMP traps do not contain a hostname as a variable.

You might be able to use the agent address, which would be an IP address,
sent
as part of the trap.  And as I just appended this morning, you can reference
that value in your slot mapping in trapd.conf as $AGENT_ADDR.  I think you
should still be able to use the PRINTF function in the slot map to combine
this
with another variable, but I have not tried that, so perhaps not.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Mull, John" <jmull AT HERSHEYS DOT COM> on 11/24/99 11:04:26 AM

NetView
      <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>