nv-l

Re: Installation on Sun Solaris: Too many open files

1999-11-25 08:37:53
Subject: Re: Installation on Sun Solaris: Too many open files
From: Jim Corrigan <corrigan AT ki DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 08:37:53 -0500
The ulimit command can be used to modify the maximum number of file
descriptors allowed.  Do a man on ulimit to see the command syntax.
I think the command is `ulimit -n <#FileDes>`

To increase the file descriptors limit system-wide:

--edit /etc/system
--add the following line:
        set rlim_fd_cur=n (n is the number you want to set.
        There is a hard limit of 1024, so don't go any higher than
        that or major problems will ensue.)
--reboot the machine for the changes to take effect.

>My team saw the same thing when working on the NetView 5.1.1 Integration
>training course.  I believe the solution was to set 'ulimit -n unlimited' in
>/etc/.login or /etc/profile.  (I don't have my notes here....)  As I recall,
>the 5.1.1 release notes mentioned setting a number of ulimit parameters to
>'unlimited' for AIX.  There was no note saying this should be done under
>Solaris, but when we started adding registration files, we had to make
>changes to ulimit parameters.
>
>Hope this helps,
>Elizabeth
>Tivoli Education
>

>In a message dated 11/25/99 4:11:11 AM Central Standard Time, rauwers AT HITT
>DOT NL
>writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>  I installed NV 5.1.1 for the first time on Sun Solaris.
>>  NV is customized with some own arf files and one extra lrf file.
>>  Besides some other problems, one of the problems as logged in the
>nv6000.log
>>  is:
>>
>>  /usr/OV/help/C/OVW/Functions/INDEX: Too many open files
>>  /usr/OV/help/C/OVW/Tasks/INDEX: Too many open files
>>  /usr/OV/help/C/nvevents/Functions/INDEX: Too many open files
>>  /usr/OV/help/C/nvevents/Tasks/INDEX: Too many open files
>>  /usr/OV/help/C/nvela/Functions/INDEX: Too many open files
>>  /usr/OV/help/C/nvela/Tasks/INDEX: Too many open files
>>  /usr/OV/help/C/mail/Functions/INDEX: Too many open files
>>  /usr/OV/help/C/print/Functions/INDEX: Too many open files
>>
>>  All daemons are normally(?) running, as inspected with ovstatus.
>>  However no discovery seems to be done by netmon and no events are
>displayed.
>>
>>  Can somebody out there give me a hint in which direction to go to solve
>>  this?
>>
>>  Thanks in advance.
>>
>>  Laurens Rauwers
>>  HITT