nv-l

Customizing Traps - Variable for Hostname on Generic SNMP Trap

1999-11-24 11:04:26
Subject: Customizing Traps - Variable for Hostname on Generic SNMP Trap
From: "Mull, John" <jmull AT HERSHEYS DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:04:26 -0500
Hi Netview Admins,

Environment : Tivoli Netview for Unix V5.1.1 (Solaris 2.6)
                 Tivoli Enterprise Console V3.6.1 (Solaris 2.6)
*NOTE* - Separate Servers

We pass Netview events using the internal adapter to TEC.  Using the TEC
rulebase engine we send events to our trouble ticket system for 2nd level
support if certain conditions are met.  The problem I am trying to solve is
with the generic SNMP traps (Link_Down/Link_UP) for our enterprise switches

In the case where I know a device such as a Server connected to the switch
will be down for maintenance, it is nice to have a "maintenance rule" in
place to ignore the events for the switch port.  In order to place the
switch port under maintenance it is necessary to create a slot value that is
unique which will be used to identify the global variable in the Tivoli
rule.  When we were using Netview V4.1.2 sending events with the external
adapter (tecad_nv6k) I was able to use the PRINTF function in the
tecad_snmp.cds file to create a new slot value which I called hostport.  I
then appended hostname and interface_index to the slot which in all cases
created the unique port which I could use to put under maintenance.

Using the Event Configuration panels now to do the same work in v5.1.1,   I
am having difficulty getting the append to work for the new slot value.  For
the generic class Link Down the variable for the port index is nv_var1.  I
can't seem to determine what the hostname variable is in the SNMP trap.  For
the netmon events hostname  is nv_var2, but this does not hold true for the
SNMP trap.
Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

John Mull
Information Technology & Integration
Process Technologist, Enterprise Systems Management
Hershey Foods Corp.
(717)534-7959
email:jmull AT hersheys DOT com

Any comments or statements made are not
necessarily those of Hershey Foods Corporation