nv-l

Re: nodes in wrong subnet maps

1999-11-22 21:48:16
Subject: Re: nodes in wrong subnet maps
From: Leslie Clark <lclark AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 21:48:16 -0500
If you look in /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace you will probably see some messages
suggesting that you delete and rediscover some nodes because they are in
the wrong subnets.

Sometimes things get put in the wrong subnet because they were non-snmp
and in the seedfile. Sometimes they get put there because they are friends
with
a node that is already in there. Often I will delete the whole mysterious
subnet,
and wait for it to reappear. As soon as it does, check and see which node
it was
created for - that node may well have a bad mask. Fixing that stops the
other
guys from getting dragged along.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark

I was poking around one of my network segment maps and came across
something
interesting.  In submap X.Y.32.0, I found a number of Cisco 2924's that
serve
the X.Y.38.0 subnet and some dhcp clients as well.  I even found a node
from the
X.Y.47.0 subnet.  I tried to ping and demand poll the devices and the ip
info
that came back also reflected the same information.  When I went to the
X.Y.38.0
submap, the nodes that are in the X.Y.32.0 that have X.Y.38 addresses were
not
there.  Any ideas?

I am running Netview 5.1.2 on an Ultra10 running Solaris2.7, with Framework
3.6.1

Regards,
Philip