nv-l

Re: haview

1999-11-22 11:35:50
Subject: Re: haview
From: Ken Garst <Ken.Garst AT KP DOT ORG>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 08:35:50 -0800
Sorry for the delay in response but ...

(1)  haview

In fact I have never gotten haview to work with NetView.

Previously I had an HACMP cluster  on RISC/6000 39H's under AIX 4.3.2 and HACMP
4.3 with NetView 5.1.2 and the HACMP support desk told me that they did not
support haview with that version of NetView, only NetView 5.1.1.  I haven't
checked recently so this may be out-of-date.

Now, I am in the process of building an HACMPE/S cluster on 2-way SMP F-50s
under AIX 4.3.3 and HACMP 4.3 for NetView 5.1.2, Tivoli framework 3.6.1,
Optivity 8.0.1 and Cisco Essentials v 2.1 and CWSI Campus v 2.3.  (In case you
are wondering, I am trying HACMPE/S in anticipation of using this version
instead of classic HACMP for making other applications highly available on our
SP.  Since I know the behavior of Tivoli/NetView under classic HACMP during
failovers, I can check out HACMPE/S and how its internals work.)

Since haview seems such a pain, I just load the HACMP MIB into NetView, define
an enterprise correponding to its OID and then customize the traps.  When any
cluster state change occurs, the trap is issued to the NetView host and appears
in the control desk.  In this way I know the status of the cluster.

(2)  Tivoli framework installation

You asked about clarifying the Tivoli framework installation.  I install the
Tivoli framework in a shared external filesystem of its own, i.e. lvtivoi &
/tivoli, alongwith NetView, i.e. lvnetview  & /usr/OV.  Previously I had
separate shared external filesystems for /usr/OV/databases and /usr/OV/ebt but
I now think there is no need for this.

Putting the Tivoli and NetView applications on shared external filesystems in
an HACMP cluster goes against the recommendations in the IBM Redbooks for
highly available Tivoli and in the NetView Release Notes which suggest
installing both on each node on internal disks.  However, I am at a loss on
what this achieves.  On the other hand, putting both on shared external
filesystems means that all customizations are automatically sync'd up between
nodes.  In addition, the recommendation means there must be two separate
installs, which is a real pain.  When the single install is done on the shared
external filesystem, I just clone one node to another via Sysback's install
image option.

Regards,
ken
ken.garst AT kp DOT org