nv-l

Re: Netview and TEC

1999-11-19 10:39:04
Subject: Re: Netview and TEC
From: Richard Barr <richard.barr AT ENTERPRISEWORKS DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 09:39:04 -0600
James is absolutely correct.  TEC too is a resource monster :-)

However, if properly implemented you can tame em.  To the point....

First and foremost, I would never recommend putting the two systems on
the same box.  There are many things to consider when architecting TEC,
Netview and the db that host there data.  For example, conventional
wisdom
saids, put the db on the same box to eliminate latency through the
network.

If you want a speedy Netview, use the default db/flat file.  If you want
use tools to extract netview data, use a thrird party db, i.e., oracle,
sybase, etc.
An example of a tool to extract the snmp data would be TDS and the
netview guides.

OK so I went on a little tangent.  I would say consider this as you make
your decision,
"single point of failure".  This box goes down, you are blind.....

Richard C. Barr

PS:  With scoping the size of the box, at a minimum, determine the
sizing requirements
     for all components and "DOUBLE THEM".