nv-l

Re: Netview for NT (meaning of trap)

1999-11-09 13:29:13
Subject: Re: Netview for NT (meaning of trap)
From: Karin Binder <karin.binder AT nwa DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 12:29:13 -0600
Larry,

If you're out there - and I hope you still are - hope this information is
helpful.  James I hope you're out there too.    I agree with many of the
views already expressed....I too want to feel free to ask questions, we all
make mistakes and learn, and I appreciate the tremendous knowledge that
everyone, and James in particular, has generously shared.

I do not consider myself a Cisco expert, but will try to offer some
additional information.

The frame relay DLCI status change trap is part of rfc1315-FRAME MIB.  This
is a branch under mib2 (mib-2.transmission.frame-relay); it is not a Cisco
private mib.  My limited hands-on experience with this trap is on Cisco
equipment and Netview for AIX .

The trap is reporting a changes in the status of a single frame relay
virtual circuit identified by the DLCI, not the physical interface on the
router itself.  In a multi-point configuration, there will be multiple
virtual circuits defined for a particular serial interface.  The serial
interface may be fine, but a single (or multiple) virtual circuit may be
inactive or invalid.

The Index and State variables are defined in the mib.  I'm not sure what is
included in the NT distribution.  From the mib distributed with the AIX
version:

frCircuitState OBJECT-TYPE
             SYNTAX   INTEGER {
                         invalid (1),
                         active (2),
                         inactive (3)
                      }
             ACCESS   read-write
             STATUS   mandatory
             DESCRIPTION
                "Indicates whether the particular virtual  cir-
                cuit  is operational.  In the absence of a Data
                Link Connection Management  Interface,  virtual
                circuit  entries  (rows) may be created by set-
                ting virtual  circuit  state  to  'active',  or
                deleted by changing Circuit state to 'invalid'.
                Whether or not the row actually  disappears  is
                left  to the implementation, so this object may
                actually read as 'invalid' for  some  arbitrary
                length  of  time.   It is also legal to set the
                state of a virtual  circuit  to  'inactive'  to
                temporarily disable a given circuit."
            DEFVAL { active }

frCircuitIfIndex OBJECT-TYPE
             SYNTAX   Index
             ACCESS   read-only
             STATUS   mandatory
             DESCRIPTION
                "The ifIndex Value of the ifEntry this  virtual
                circuit is layered onto."
            ::= { frCircuitEntry 1 }

The index value isn't too meaningful in raw form.  For example index 5 may
refer to interface "serial 1" or "serial 2" depending on the order cards
have been installed in the router.  You can do an snmp query to the device
using this index value to obtain the  interface name, which is much more
meaningful to someone reading an error message.  For example on router
RTR1.xxx.com, index 3:

snmpget RTR1.xxx.com interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.3

Hope this helps,
Karin