nv-l

Re: A few questions on netmon, script and netview customization eg

1999-11-03 08:42:04
Subject: Re: A few questions on netmon, script and netview customization eg
From: Leslie Clark <lclark AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 08:42:04 -0500
Ai, regarding customization in general, and adding things to the menu,
you should have both the V4 and the V5 redbooks on hand, since they
have good examples. Even the V3 is still available:

GG24-4327 Examples of Using Netview for AIX (V3)
SG24-4515 Examples of Using Netview for AIX V4
     SG24-5285 Integrated Management Solutions Using Netview V5.1
     See http://www.redbooks.ibm.com

      The online Programmer's Guide covers application registration files.
 When I
      want to be reminded of how to add a simple script to the menu, I look
 at
     existing registration files that call xnmappmon, and review the man
 page for
     xnmappmon. This command puts up a nice wrapper for the output of a
 script.

     I'm not sure what you mean by displaying the status of a netware node.
 If it
     is IP and SNMP-enabled, you can do with it whatever you might to with
 any
    other host - that is, you can monitor its up/down status, and poll any
 mib variables
    that the snmp agent on it supports. Various SNMP agents are available
 for
    Novell, depending on your hardware (eg Compaq Insight Manager) or
    ManageWise. They are added on as NLMs to the basic snmp agent.
    Search the archives of this listserver, since there has been quite a
 bit of
    discussion of these agents in the past few months.

    If you are talking monitoring it from an IPX standpoint, there used to
 be a method
    for that (that's what that the openmon menu pick is for) which did a
 sort of
     integration with Managewise. There is a redbook detailing how that
 works, but
     I have not heard about anyone using it in years, since IP became
 available
     on Novell. See SG24-2532-00 redbook from 10/95.

 Cordially,

 Leslie A. Clark

Hi forum readers, I am trying to find out how to display the status of
netware node. However I feel it a bit hard to understand the example
in the NetView manual

1) Anybody has got any example
2) Is there any good site that can show how NetView can be customized to
its
full capability. (case study + customization example)
3) How do call script from NetView submenu (like Mib Application builder
but
call script instead)

Thanks
Ai