nv-l

Re: Demand Poll Question

1999-10-28 08:49:54
Subject: Re: Demand Poll Question
From: Leslie Clark <lclark AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 08:49:54 -0400
If you are forwarding such events to T/EC, these extras are not a problem
since it is common in tec rules processing to discard duplicates. If you
are
using a simple Netview rule to send your page, I guess you will have to
make it fancier to account for the duplicate. If you have just customized
the
event directly to do the paging, it is time to get fancier and switch to
using
the netview ruleset editor to pre-process the events. I know I have a
little
learning curve ahead of me, too.  Makes me glad I saved all of those
appends from James about traps and rules.

Isn't it nice to know that customer requests are heeded?

Sample rulesets, anybody?

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark

I followed up with Tivoli Tech Support since they hadn't volunteered the
information that this was a new feature in 5.1.2 (thank you, Leslie.) I was
told that 'this was a modification due to a request from a major customer.
The customer wanted pinging a node to guarantee to update the nodes
status.'

I looked and couldn't find any difference between the normal traps and the
unwanted traps - Tech Support also says there is no difference.  They
didn't
have any suggestions for a workaround and said I should send an enhancement
(or un-enhancement, as the case may be) request to netview AT tivoli DOT com.

Kristi Smith
Mentor Graphics Corporation
(503) 685-1971
kristi_smith AT mentorg DOT com