nv-l

Re: using IP ranges in seedfile

1999-10-19 09:20:53
Subject: Re: using IP ranges in seedfile
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 09:20:53 -0400
Adrian -

The first thing I will tell you is that I am not an expert in fixing discovery
problems, so I cannot comment on what you have done.  I don't work in that area
of the product.  All I can do is suggest what to do based on my understanding.
If you want further assistance you will have to open a problem to Support or ask
a question for other users to comment on here.  But what I am suggesting is that
you put in the seed file, in addition to the address range, a few actual nodes
in those subnets.  When you put a node by hostname or IP address in the seed
file you are telling netmon that you absolutely must have this node discovered
and put on the map (if at all possible).  That will force him to go out and find
it if he can.

So for your range 192.168.10.4-253, pick  a node in the first subnet, let us say
192.168.10.9  for example, and put him in the seed file and restart netmon.  If
you have 5.1.1or later you can issue  netmon -y  and he will re-read the
seedfile without a restart.  Finding nodes in the seed file is the first thing
netmon does after loading the topology and doing his config checks, so it should
make a difference very quickly.  If you have success with this, then follow the
same procedure and add one node from each subnet.  Once those are found the
others in each subnet will follow very quickly.  Note that I am not suggesting
that you add all the nodes, just one from each subnet.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Adrian Spring <adrian.spring AT ITPRO-AG DOT CH> on 10/18/99 10:03:17 AM

      <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>