nv-l

X-Server crashes traversing NetView topology

1999-10-15 12:46:59
Subject: X-Server crashes traversing NetView topology
From: Abdur Rehman I Mamsa <aimamsa AT NOTES.WEST.RAYTHEON DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 09:46:59 -0700
Recently, we've been receiving the following errors from our X-Client processes:
     XIO:  fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) on X server ":0.0" after # requests
(# known processed) with 0 events remaining.
     The connection was probably broken by a server shutdown or KillClient.

The entire X-Server crashes. In some instances, we receive the following errors
on the screen after the X-Server shutdown:
     Garbage collection failed.
     1356-815/usr/bin/x11/xinit: connection to x server lost

The "1356-815/usr/bin/x11/xinit: connection to x server lost" error is specific
to the X-Server. We've researched the AIX/X documentation and found that this
error code (815) is a display related, floating-point error.

This problem only seems to occur when a user attempts to open submaps and
"drill-down" through our NetView topology map. We are using NetView ver 4.1 for
AIX and would appreciate any suggestions.

Please respond to aimamsa AT notes.west.raytheon DOT com.

Thank you.
-AR