nv-l

Re: NETMON causing high SNMP Util on router

1999-10-13 18:07:50
Subject: Re: NETMON causing high SNMP Util on router
From: Sean Davidson <sean.davidson AT MAIL.PUBLIX DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 18:07:50 -0400
The router doesn't log who is generating the queries or what variables are
being queried. The only way I can get at that
is via debugs which would more than likely hose the router up. This router
is the backbone of my entire network, there is never a good time to bring
this one down.

IOS is 11.1(20)CA1. Been running that version on this router for several
months and haven't noticed this problem until recently. Using Cisco MIB
queries when the problem occurs, I see the snmp get variable go from 4 or 5
in a 5 sec interval to up to 70. This is what leads me to believe that the
problem is actual SNMP queries.

I've got Netview setup to do config poll. How often does this take place? I
know when NetView goes to pull the ARP cache
off this router, it takes a few minutes and CPU is high. I would only expect
this to happen once per day, but I don't recall how often the config poll
occurs. The arp cache on this router has 7000 or so entries. The route table
contains appx 160 routes.

Well, as I'm getting ready to send this, I may have found the problem. Did a
demandpoll on this guy and after 23 min, closed it. Of that 23 min, netmon
was pulling the arp table for 22 min 48 sec. Due to the way routing is
configured on this guy, he maintains a huge arp cache. It's a user
configuration issue on the router. I need to modify the way routing takes
place to get the ARP table down to a manageable size. This is no small task,
so I'm trying to find the easiest short term solution:

I know I can turn off config polling, but is there a way to tell netmon to
config poll everyone but this guy, or to tell him to config poll him only at
a certain time? What do I lose by disable config polling altogether? Is it
possible to tell netmon not to query the ARP table?

Thanks,
Sean Davidson

Sr. Network Systems Engineer
Publix Super Markets, Inc.