nv-l

MLM thresholding

1999-10-13 16:18:03
Subject: MLM thresholding
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry AT SKILLS-1ST.CO DOT UK>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 21:18:03 +0100
I have NetView 5.1.1 (still waiting for 5.1.2) and MLM 5.0.3.0 (from NV
5.1.1 CD).  I am using APM to setup thresholding.  So far, I am simply
sampling octets in (.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.1.1.10.*) on my 3 interfaces of a
router.  Page 9-65 of the MLM manual talks about the Threshold results
table and says "Counter MIB variables default to the delta value,
calculated by subtracting the old MIB value from the current MIB
value".  Page 9-69, talking about Data Collection, says "threshold for
Counter type variables are computed by calculating the change per second
in the sampled values and checking these delta values against the
threshold or rearm value".

The thresholds I am seeing are firing on straight deltas (ie. the P9-65)
definition, NOT on the rate of change per second suggested on P9-69.  I
have also tried another simple variable that just samples one instance
rather than several to ensure this isn't confusing matters.  I have
checked with the MLM Threshold Results Table and that is confirming what
I am seeing.

Do I have a code bug, a documentation bug, or am I just confused???

Any help gratefully received,
Jane
--
Tivoli Certified Enterprise Consultant