nv-l

DNS hostnames and Tivoli / Netview

1999-10-11 06:16:34
Subject: DNS hostnames and Tivoli / Netview
From: Paul Vize <paul_vize AT IE.IBM DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 11:16:34 +0100
Hi all,
     I am setting up a Tivoli Netview system and want to have names displayed on
the maps for all the network devices.
I have heard there is an 8 character limit on hostname in the DNS when using
hostnames with certain legacy applications. I would like to use a hostname of 10
characters.
Does anybody know if using more than 8 would cause me a problem now or in the
future. The versions  of software I will be running are below.

AIX 4.3.2
Framework 3.6.1
Netview 5.1.1
NWAYS 2.0
And possible will have RIM installed with latest DB2 version at a later date.

Regards,
Paul Vize

Networking Group - IBM in Ireland