nv-l

Re: Setup Security Admin other than root

1999-10-08 11:09:40
Subject: Re: Setup Security Admin other than root
From: Leslie Clark <lclark AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 11:09:40 -0400
In spite of having been documented as doable for years, that
function never worked because the nvsec_admin command
actually made a check to see if the real user was 0. I reported it
last year and I believe it was supposed to have been fixed in
5.1.1. I have not used it since the fix so I don't know for sure that
it was completely fixed. If you are at 5.1.1 and it still does not
work, you should call support.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark

Hi, all,

     When I follow the steps on NetView admin guide to setup the Security Admin
other than
     root, I always get an error message when I tried to start nvsec_admin from
that user id:

     What I did was:

     1. create a group named "secadmin" and a user named "secadmin"

     2. Follow the instruction on the admin guide:

          chgrp secadmin /usr/OV/bin/nvsec_admin
          chmod g+x /usr/OV/bin/nvsec_admin
          chgrp -R secadmin /usr/OV/security
          chmod g+rwx /usr/OV/security
          chmod -R g+rw /usr/OV/security/C
          chmod g+rx /usr/OV/security/conf
          chmod g+rw /usr/OV/security/conf/sec.conf
          chmod -R +rwx /usr/OV/security/C

     3. add the group name of secadmin into root's group list.

     4. login "secadmin" and start /usr/OV/bin/nvsec_admin

     Then I get the following error message:

     <>ERROR: User must be root. Permission denied for "nvsec_admin"

     What have I done wrong?

     Thanks.