nv-l

Re: Controlling which interface is used on a multi-homed machine

1999-10-07 12:31:05
Subject: Re: Controlling which interface is used on a multi-homed machine
From: Ken Garst <Ken.Garst AT KP DOT ORG>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 09:31:05 -0700
You want to rethink renaming the SP node hostname.  Recall that this name is
buried deep inside PSSP.  I was told in SP sysadmin class that there is a
17-page procedure for changing this name.  However, I ran NetView 4.1 on an SP
node and had the same problem and simply changed the node hostname without any
ill effects.  But this node was essentially independent of the switch, using
external token ring adapters for NetView GUI sessions and sending/receiving udp
packets.

On the other hand, changing the hostname temporarily to the ipadapter label on
the switch interface cw0 (or your routed interface) and then running reset-ci
tells NetView to use that ipadapter label.  I believe you can then rename the
host to its original because NetView is looking at the ipadapter label and NOT
the hostname.

In any case, ask jim/leslie whether NetView is checking the ipadapter label or
hostname.  (Incidentally, check if NetView uses the uname, which can be
different from the hostname and/or adapter labels, which explains why these 3
things exist and why they can all be different, that is, uname, hostname,
ipadapter label.)

Regards,
ken
ken.garst AT kp DOT org