nv-l

Re: Ping list not getting pinged?

1999-09-22 22:44:15
Subject: Re: Ping list not getting pinged?
From: Mark Sklenarik <markskl AT ibm DOT net>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 22:44:15 -0400
Chris, Bill
Check netmon -Q and -q options, one is for snmp queue size the other is for
ping queue size. Must likely they should both be set the same.  They are
still available in 5.1.1 and 5.1.2.  Sorry I do not remember what the
default is it's either 8 or 16.  The recommended setting are 8, 16, 32, or
64, but never greater than 64.  We have tested at 8, 16, 32, and 64, for
the higher setting the recommendation is that you have a higher speed
network adapter, like 100Mbp Ethernet or faster.

But the question I would have is why are they 16 pings waiting in the
queue, is there a networking DNS or arp problem.

Currently I am trying to determine why intermittently the "arp" request
portion of a ping request is not getting answered in a timely fashion or
not at all in your lab network, The arp request just seems to get loss. A
iptrace shows the request being made but never replied to.   This is all
WITHOUT NetView deamons running or any other networking product running on
AIX 4.3.2.  The ping from command line resolves the name lookup, but remote
device never response with arp reply.  What makes it even stranger the
device being pong is working and communicating with other devices in the
network, just not to the AIX 4.3.2 machine I am using.  The machine will
ping with other devices in the same segment.  I created a script that pings
about 20 of the switches in the lab twice and stops, sometimes all ping
works, other times a portion will fail, and all the time the pong device
are working.  The fails moves around and is not associated with just the
one AIX 4.3.2 box.  I have not answers yet, but when I do I'll post them.

Mark Sklenarik
Tivoli NetView Verification