nv-l

Re: Netview Service Point...

1999-08-31 10:20:02
Subject: Re: Netview Service Point...
From: "Owens, Blaine C" <bowens AT EASTMAN DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 10:20:02 -0400
Gord, if you are serious about this...

You will also need the IBM SNA Communications Server for AIX. As of about 6
months ago I was current with Communications Server 5.0.2.5 and Service
Point 1.2.2.0.U459153. Both of these products are still IBM products so I
would search the IBM site for more info. I am communicating with the
mainframe via an IBM 3172 ethernet SNA session (PU-PU session). There are 2
NetView daemons which come into play, tralertd converts traps into MVS
NetView alerts and sends them to MVS as NMVTs (NPDA alerts). spappld is the
daemon which processes the RUNCMDs from MVS NetView.

I don't know your requirements, but if I may get on my soapbox for a
moment.....

<soapbox>
Believe it or not, about 10 years ago I was a mainframe/SNA geek. As the
person responsible for MVS NetView I guess the thinking was that I should be
responsible for any product containing the word "NetView", so when this new
application which at the time was called NetView/6000 (believe it or not -
version 1) came along to manage the few TCP/IP devices we had - I got it. At
this time SNA and mainframes ruled our enterprise so my efforts were geared
to making MVS NetView the "manager of managers" which I did a fair job of
accomplishing via Service Point on AIX and another Service Point on a
product NetView/PC.

A lot has changed since then. MVS and SNA are no longer the gods of our
enterprise. It no longer makes sense to make MVS NetView a focal point but
over the years I have written so many host interfaces in REXX clists on MVS
it is hard to wean our "spoiled" (just kidding) operations staff.

If I were just starting out today I would take a different approach and make
host NetView a subordinate system reporting to something like a Tivoli
console. Instead of developing REXX clists I would develop web cgi utilities
to accomplish whatever interfaces were required. In fact, as time permits I
hope to implement such a strategy some day.
</soapbox>

I don't think Service Point is widely used today. If you have any questions
or run into any problems feel free to communicate with me offline.

Blaine Owens
Eastman Chemical Company
Phone - (423)-229-3579
Fax - (423)-229-1188