nv-l

Re: Netview NT 5.1.1 Reset Database

1999-08-31 00:05:05
Subject: Re: Netview NT 5.1.1 Reset Database
From: Leslie Clark <lclark AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 00:05:05 -0400
Well, if it works on NT the way it does on AIX, the definitions are kept in
the object database where you cannot get at them except through the
spartsets dialog. But when you clear the database with the option to
keep the smartsets, it extracts those before flushing and then reinstates
them. That would be my guess.

I just noticed that you said you have created SMartsets 'and submaps
under them'. What did you mean? You should not be creating anything in
Smartsets or Collections. That way lies database corruption and the
need to flush the database. If you really did a cut/paste job in there,
don't do it again after you rediscover. Heirarchy is not supported  in
smartsets.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark

Ok, Thanks. By the way where are the smartsets kept as far as the database?

>>> Leslie Clark <lclark AT US.IBM DOT COM> 08/29 9:00 PM >>>
You will lose the arrangements you have made,  but not the smartset definitions,
so they will be repopulated when the nodes are rediscovered.  Regarding network
names, I believe, on Netview for NT, that if you provide a file called
\etc\networks
it will use that to name the subnets. Segments (underneath the subnets) will be
called Segment1, Segment2, etc as before if that's what you really mean.

I generally count on having to rediscover the network several times before I
am through with an implementation, so I make a point of not investing too
heavily
in customization until I'm happy with the discovery. Then I think about the day
when I might have to do it again, and decide not to cut and paste it too deeply.
Then I take a good backup of the map database under /usr/OV/databases/openview
in case of corruption. That way I can restore to that point and let it sync up.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark

Hello,

I need to delete and rediscovery my network. I have created custom smartsets and
submaps under them. If I reset the database (with preserve smartsets checked)
will all my customizations disappear anyway?

Some of my customizations include the naming by hand of dozens of network
segments.