nv-l

Re: Authentication Failure with Community Names

1999-08-26 15:41:48
Subject: Re: Authentication Failure with Community Names
From: Xu He <xuhe AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 12:41:48 -0700
The communityname.conf file is only used during the
initial discovery of the object.  Netview will try all
of the community string listed, and once a string
works it will put the Node Name and Community string
in the OVSNMP.conf.  You may have to modify this file
manually, or you can delete the objects Netview
couldn't recognize via SNMP and rediscover them.

Xu

--- "Chance, Larry" <lchance AT SFBCIC DOT COM> wrote:
> [ NetView for NT ]
>
> I have devices with two Community Names.
> Public and CommPrivate (example).
> Default is Public.  I'm trying to migrate all
> devices to CommPrivate.
> If I put CommPrivate in SNMP Options as a wildcard
> then I get my traps from
> the CommPrivate devices just fine,
> but then I get Authentication Failures from the
> devices in Public.
> Then if I switch them around I get just the
> opposite.
> The file, communitynames.conf, has both names but
> SNMP must not be allowing
> authentication with both.
> Is there a way to get authentication's from both
> without the Authentication
> Failures traps?  How is it done?
>
> Also, I always get a Dr. Watson trap (Internal to
> NT) when I put in a
> wildcard IP address: *.*.*.*
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Larry