nv-l

No Subject

1999-08-25 09:07:15
Subject: No Subject
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:07:15 -0400
Bill -

First, please get in the habit of putting a subject in your postings so that
others can follow the thread.

Second, if what you see in the workspace matches what you get in TEC, then the
ruleset is doing what it should do.  The way you test a ruleset is in a
workspace.  Don't expect it to work differently when you use it for TEC.  But
read on -- there are some things you can do in a workspace you cannot do with
TEC  forwarding.

Third, use the ruleset editor (nvrsEdit) to open that ruleset and click in the
initial event stream ( the "purple pizza").  Does it say that the default action
is BLOCK or PASS?  If PASS, then that is why you see little difference between
it and forwardall.rs.  If not, and it says BLOCK, then I don't know what is
wrong in your set up.

Fourth, the ruleset that I have called sampcorrNuNd.rs does a Resolve.  If the
Node Up hostname matches the Node Down hostname and the Node Up came within 10
minutes of the Node Down, then a "resolve" for this event is sent to nvevents,
and it will pull that Node Down from all event windows.  But you cannot do this
with TEC.  It will not know what to do with a "resolve" request designed for
nvevents and will ignore it.  To remove an event from a TEC console you must get
it in closed status in TEC; something you have to do with a TEC rule, not a
NetView one.   Of course, you could write a different rule, one which might use
wpostemsg to send a different event to TEC, or one with different logic,  which
would only send a Node Down to TEC if the matching Node Up did not come in.  But
by itself, the sampcorrNuNd.rs rule is not a good one to use for TEC forwarding.

Fifth, in all of this you haven't said what level of NetView you are using here.
Mine is 5.1.1, of course, and I have no script errors trying to run nvtecia.
Are you root?  What error did you get?

Hope this helps.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"McCarter, Bill" <mccarter_we AT NNS DOT COM> on 08/24/99 08:16:37 AM

      <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>