nv-l

Re: Long post: Using Netview APIs to manage network

1999-08-24 11:28:24
Subject: Re: Long post: Using Netview APIs to manage network
From: "Boyles, Gary P" <gary.p.boyles AT INTEL DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 08:28:24 -0700
Paul,
Its been awhile since I've done any of this type of programming, but
I don't think it would really require that much interprocess communication.

The ovwdb APIs is what you'd use in the always-running daemon.

The ovw APIs is what you'd usd in the GUI API to update the map,
but you could also use the ovwdb APIs to get/put the actual information
from/to the database.  I don't believe there is any restriction on the
ovwdb APIs (in regard to GUI-startup), just the ovw APIs.

The only interprocess communication might be flagging the GUI if the
daemon did an update.  This could be done in a number of ways:
  a)  File Access  (have a loop that always checked mod-times)
  b)  Interprocess Communication
  c)  Sending/Receiving traps  (probably the most NetView-ish way).

All-in-all though, it seems like a lot of what you're doing could be done
through nvsniffer (on NT), and UNIX in the future (assuming they plan on
sync'ing up nvsniffer in a future UNIX version).

That's my 2 cents.

Regards,

Gary Boyles