nv-l

Netview Discovers Networks which are Wrong.

1999-08-24 10:13:05
Subject: Netview Discovers Networks which are Wrong.
From: John Creasey <creasey AT OZEMAIL.COM DOT AU>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:13:05 +1000
I seem to get this all the time....

I'll be setting up a netview map and Netview picks up a network such
as 10.0.0.0  ie a "class A" network.  I check the topodump and there
are no devices referencing a network with that netmask, but it
picks it up nonetheless.  If I delete it, it comes back sooner or later.
All I can do is hide it.

Sometimes this causes netview to connect devices incorrectly and only
after I do an ovtopofix -r of the clashing network, can I get things
to draw correctly.

Today I had a case which was a fairly normal class C network (255.255.255.0)
but netview decided that network was 255.255.255.192 and drew it as two
networks.  Again no devices referenced this network with incorrect netmasks.

Does anyone know how Netview decides what networks it is going to use?
To me it would appear to involve the dark side of the force.

John Creasey.
Advantra.