nv-l

AW: Removing Objects from NetView Database

1999-08-19 13:24:23
Subject: AW: Removing Objects from NetView Database
From: Schiffinger Ralph 2100 <Ralph.Schiffinger AT ERSTEBANK DOT AT>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 19:24:23 +0200
Hi,
and thank you, Xu and John, for your hints.
Had tried them already, did so again, no success.

But as usual, the winner is "THE MAN" as I call him, forgive me, James ;-)
HE put me in the right direction...

The summary (so far):

65 zombies.
63 objects were NOT removed when they should have been.
2 objects were re-discovered immediately when netmon was running.
ALL objects were in the object database.
NONE of the objects was in topology.
The only place i could STARE/GLARE at them was in a collection.
NONE of these objects had fields other than "standard-NetView-fields".
Some of these object's addresses actually DO exist in my network.
2 objects/9 addresses actually belong to a Cabletron Smart-Switch-Router...
SSR 8000 - Cabletron Systems, Inc. Firmware Version: 2.2.0.0 PROM Version:
prom-1.1.0.3
system.sysObjectID.0 : OBJECT IDENTIFIER:
.iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.52.3.9.20.1.3
snmpwalk on this machine gives tons of MIB-information,
but rnetstat -A on this guy gives...
ERROR getting table from 172.28.90.1: The variable does not exist or is read
only.
Which points somehow in the "trouble-with-reading-arp-cache-direction",
right?

And then, new idea:
My "NetView/AIX-mentor" from the early days in 1997 had left me with 7 tiny
C-programs.

Usage: del_field Field_Name
Usage: dsp_fieldtype Selection_Name Field_Name
Usage: get_field Selection_Name Field_Name Value
Usage: get_field2 Object_Id Field_Name
Usage: set_field Selection_Name Field_Name Value
Usage: set_field2 Object_Id Field_Name Value
Usage: unset_field Selection_Name Field_Name

get_field2 (plus shell-scripts) is doing ALL MY CORRELATION-STUFF since 2
years...
set_field and set_field2 i'm using all the time to update my databases REAL
PRONTO...

So it seemed worth a try to use unset_field on ALL MY ZOMBIES.
And after running unset_field ON ALL FIELDS OF ALL ZOMBIES
(of course some fields are un-unset_field-able),
i could delete them at last and now they are gone for good...

Which leaves me with a final question:
2 (Cabletron)-objects still making "trouble".
2 (Cabletron)-objects still re-discovered after delete-from-everywhere.
Any experiences/hints regarding Cabletron SSR 8000 or
similar "smart" boxes playing router but giving arp-cache-troubles?

Thanks for all your help and patience.
The flames are burning themselves out already.
Cordially, Ralph.
iT-AUSTRIA / OE2100 / TK
Tel  (mobil)  0664 1908469
Tel  (iT-A)    21717 58948
FAX (iT-A)    21717 58979
Mailto:Ralph.Schiffinger AT erstebank DOT at