nv-l

xxmap Application is not starting on NetView clients.

1999-08-16 04:26:48
Subject: xxmap Application is not starting on NetView clients.
From: Karsten Leidel <Karsten.Leidel AT partner.bmw DOT de>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 10:26:48 +0200
Hello all,
we are using NetView 5.1.1 on AIX 4.3.1 in a Client / Server environment
(with one NetView server and four NetView clients).
Additionally we have developed a GTM Application, which is updating our
own NetView icons with the NetView API (nvot-calls).
The application is similar to wtotapi1.c, described in the IBM Redbook
"Examples Using NetView for AIX Version 4" on page 271.

Everything works fine as long as we start the NetView GUI on the Server.
The application xxmap is started together with ovw and the status of our
own gtm-icons are synchronized with the gtm database. Any status change
in the gtm database is reflected in the GUI.
However as soon as we start the GUI from one of the clients, xxmap will
NOT start on the client. The status of the gtm-icons are never updated
in the GUI.

The registration file /usr/OV/registration/C/xxmap is unchanged and on
the server and clients the same.
Both on the server an on the clients we do have the following entry in
the /etc/services file:
gtmd    2112/tcp    # NetView General Topology Manager port

Is there anything else to consider to get xxmap and GTM working in a
client/server environment?

With friendly Regards,
Karsten Leidel

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Karsten Leidel

Externer Mitarbeiter FI-40, NetView und AIX Administration, BMW AG
Tivoli Certified Enterprise Consultant
Tel.: 089/ 382 39983  Fax.: 089/93 94 51-59  Handy: 0171/704 50 20