nv-l

Re: port in use

1999-08-12 16:07:31
Subject: Re: port in use
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 16:07:31 -0400
No, they are not the same.  TEC ships with a number of adapters you can install
on various boxes.  The TEC SNMP adapter is a stand-alone piece of code you might
choose to install in your network if it were small and all you wanted to do was
to send traps to TEC.  You would have your agents (routers and other devices)
send their traps to the box with the adapter and he would format them and send
them to TEC.  This offers a rudimentary form of network management to folks
without a specialized network manager.

If you have NetView then you have your devices send traps to the NetView box and
then if required NetView can send them on to TEC.  The internal adapter is not a
separate piece of code you get from somewhere else and install separately.  It
is a set of subroutines inside the nvserverd daemon.

You cannot have the TEC SNMP adapter and NetView using the same box because they
both want to be trap receivers (listen on port 162) and there can be only one.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Gord Michaels <gord_michaels AT HOTMAIL DOT COM> on 08/12/99 01:53:58 PM

      <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>