nv-l

Re: trapd.conf

1999-08-12 13:48:32
Subject: Re: trapd.conf
From: "Chance, Larry" <lchance AT SFBCIC DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 12:48:32 -0500

Thanks for the warning on file editing.  I didn't do it after all.

I still do not see where you can select an Enterprise
and delete it via GUI.  I do see where you can select
the Trap in the Enterprise and delete it.  But not the
Enterprise itself with all it's Traps.

The problem for me is when I'm going back and forth
working with Trap Settings and have to scroll through all the
Enterprises to get to the one I need.  For instance, there's
several DEC, IBM, and HP that I will never need to see,
because we do not have any of these devices.
I figure why not get them out of the way to make it more
convenient.  Life's too short.

> And I am afraid I don't understand the rest of your question -
> >>   Also, is it documented someplace what all these
> Enterprises are used with?
> Such as:
> rsvpNotifications
> workgroup
> vtpNotificationsPrefix
> and on & on

Just my curiosity here. For instance, I wondered what the Enterprise
vtpNotificationsPrefix is.  How would I benefit from it's Traps?

> These are not NetView items so I don't see how they are or
> could be affected.
> The only thing that is affected is,  if you get a trap from
> some other vendor's
> software or device, whether it is already formatted on the
> Event Browser screen
> or not.
>
> Perhaps that's the whole issue here --  a misunderstanding
> about what an
> enterprise id represents?

I don't doubt my misunderstanding of Enterprises.  I am learning
each day.  I do like what I learn though.  It's very interesting.

> PS:  I didn't follow your remarks about nv.carriers.  I use
> notepad.exe to edit
> it all the time.

This is a whole other issue.  I needed to use MobileCom as my
carrier, with exceptions to the provisions in the file,
nv.carriers, I made my changes.
Each time I tried set it default in PAGER DAEMON it
would always resort back to METROMEDIA no matter what.
I figured it was the editing of the file causing this but maybe not.
So to work around it, I just put my provisions in the METROMEDIA
section and it works.  Where I need to use 9998765@MobileCom
I use 9998765@METROMEDIA, although it's really using MobileCom.

I do appreciate your help and knowledge of NetView.

Thanks,

Larry