nv-l

Re: Viewing trap variables...

1999-08-04 11:27:00
Subject: Re: Viewing trap variables...
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 11:27:00 -0400
Answers below:

>>What is the best way in which to view all of the info sent with a trap?

Format it in xnmtrap or Trap Settings (NT) to say  $*  for the log message.
Then all variables will be shown.  on UNIX see the man page for trapd.conf for
more details

>>I have been looking at the trapd.log file but that does not seem to have the
>>variable bindings listed.

That's correct.  It will only display what the formatting in trapd.conf says to
display

>>Also, when a trap is received, are the variable bindings are the items
>>listed as [1], [2], etc. ??

Yes.  But if the traps also says "NO FMT FOUND" that means that it is not
present in trapd.conf, which is very inefficient.  You should define all traps
and have them display only the variables  you want to see.  NetView (netmon)
traps generally have one variable which says just "openview" and another which
identifies the source as netmon (the variable is an integer 2) and it is
pointless to display these and fill up your log and display windows with this
information.   If you have traps from another source then $* is acceptable if
you want to see all the variables.  But the trap should be defined in trapd.conf
to reduce the overhead in trapd.

>>And finally, from what I understand, these bindings are nothing more than
>>MIB variables from the device sending the trap??

Usually yes.  But the sending agent can put whatever it wants in the trap and
there is
no guarantee that what is there is actually defined in a MIB.  Trapd will
display the trap
whether you have the MIB loaded or not.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Gord Michaels <gord_michaels AT HOTMAIL DOT COM> on 08/04/99 09:30:24 AM

      <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>

What is the best way in which to view all of the info sent with a trap?

I have been looking at the trapd.log file but that does not seem to have the
variable bindings listed.

Also, when a trap is received, are the variable bindings are the items
listed as [1], [2], etc. ??

And finally, from what I understand, these bindings are nothing more than
MIB variables from the device sending the trap??

Any info appreciated.

Gord.