nv-l

Re: Cisco ip unnumbered interfaces

1999-08-02 22:18:29
Subject: Re: Cisco ip unnumbered interfaces
From: Leslie Clark <lclark AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 22:18:29 -0400
Actually, the problem of unnumbered interfaces incorrectly contributing
to the status of the router was fixed in 5.1.1 after all of these years. They
cheated, I think, but apparently the way it works is, for every unnumbered
(and thus unpingable) interface  on a device,  the number of interfaces
that must be down before the parent device is red is decremented by one.
The interface may be green, but if no other interface on the device is
reachable,
then the device will show red on the IP Internet level submap. Pretty clever,
eh? I still want regular status polling via snmp, though.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark

The Netview netmon daemon doesn't "ping" these interfaces because it can't
ping unnumbered interfaces.  However, it could do an snmpget to get the
admin and oper status, but it is not configured to do so; thus, netmon
discovers them and puts them into the map, but they are always green.

I'd recommend creating your own script that does this polling and changes
the NV symbols accordingly.  I started to do so until I realized there were
problems with NV correctly discovering all of our unnumbered interfaces.
Thus, I have been working with NV support on the discovery of these
unnumbered interfaces since then.

Joe Prokott - West Group
Network Architect
610 Opperman Drive