nv-l

xnmsnmpconf -resolve ???

1999-07-26 11:43:39
Subject: xnmsnmpconf -resolve ???
From: "Jeffrey G. Fitzwater" <jfitz AT PRINCETON DOT EDU>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 11:43:39 -0400
HELP

I am runnning  Netview 5.1.1 on solaris

Strange community name resolution on host.

The devices have been loaded in via LOADHOSTS and I have set the
xnmsnmpconf  default community name to that of this group of devices.
(not public)  I will change this back to public later.

I do a demand poll on these devices to discover that they are snmp
supported.

I create a collection for this group of devices ...

All these devices have the same community name as shown below.

        Rule: (('Selection Name' ~ 'sehi-') && ('isNode' = True))

I configure xnmsnmpconf to have this collection and its community name
(madeup).   There are no individual entries or ip wildcard groups.  just
the collection and default with community name of public.

I have cleared the xnmsnmpconf cache.

The device names as shown that are created on the map do not have the
domain name attached  ie.  (sehi-155 )

If I sellect the device and do a demand poll it fails.  If I use the mib
browser it fails because it uses ( public ) as the community name.

HERE is the interresting part.

If I do an xnmsnmpconf -resolve on ( sehi-155 )  it returns ...

name           = sehi-155
community      = madeup
proxy          = <none>
timeout        = 20
retry          = 3
pollInterval   = 60
remotePort     = 161
setCommunity   = <default>
discoveryPoll  = 1
useAutoAdjust   = 1
fixedInterval  = 60
confInterval   = 86400
nodeDownIntrval= 31449600
routeEntries   = 800
discoverManage = 1
ipAddr         = 128.112.196.167
isProxied      = FALSE
ipAddrAge      = Mon Jul 26 10:47:34 1999

If I run xnmsnmpconf -resolve sehi-155.princeton.edu
I get public  as the read community whic is the default name.

name           = sehi-155.princeton.edu
community      = public
proxy          = <none>
timeout        = 20
retry          = 3
pollInterval   = 60
remotePort     = 161
setCommunity   = <default>
discoveryPoll  = 1
useAutoAdjust   = 1
fixedInterval  = 60
confInterval   = 86400
nodeDownIntrval= 31449600
routeEntries   = 800
discoverManage = 1
ipAddr         = 128.112.196.167
isProxied      = FALSE
ipAddrAge      = Mon Jul 26 09:53:57 1999

Why does this resolve differently?  Isn't there only one object  in the
database?

It looks to me that the object  sellected is (sehi-155.princeton.edu)
but the collection thinks it is object (sehi-155) so they don't match
and it falls through to the default community name.

I have tried creating different  collectiions with SELECTION NAME,
IP HOSTNAME and IPIP NAME with identical results.

Am I doing something wrong or could this be a bug??

Thanks for any help.

Jeff Fitzwater
Princeton University