nv-l

Re: Some Post Migration Questions...

1999-07-14 13:10:45
Subject: Re: Some Post Migration Questions...
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 13:10:45 -0400
>>1. The Netview groups which I have previously defined were gone! i.e. in the
>>/usr/conf/security directory. A user did not have the same privilages as
>>before? Should I copy over some files from the OV.back.v4r1 directory or
>>something?

You are correct.  There is a deficiency in the migration that it does not copy
the security
profiels.  I believe this is being addressed in a future release, but that won't
help you
now.  You can try copying the secuirty files from 4.1 to 5.1.1 but I don't know
if that will work.  Otherwise you must rebuild it.

>>2. Netview attempts to start other applications which are in the
>>registration files but are no longer installed on the system. I saw this by
>>looking at the nv6000.log. Any solution?

The solution is that you should have removed those applications from the V4
system before you build the migration script, or you must re-install them now.
Else you will have to go into /usr/OV/registration/C and locate those files and
remove them.

>>3. Could someone explain the entire issue of X11R5 vs X11R6 and what I must
>>do?

The default Xserver libraries for AIX used to be X11R5 and NetView has worked
just peachy
with them for years.  Then AIX started shipping X11R6.  We don't know what they
changed, but now the NetView GUI often hangs, especaiily if the CDE is running
and you switch screens or when NetView is shutting down.  Until AIX fixes this,
we must pre-req X11R5.
In the netview command script which starts the GUI and in other such places, we
have added an LIBPATH which specifies R5.  This means that /usr/lpp/X11/R5 must
exist on your box for NetView to function correctly.  If it doesn't, then you
must install it.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Gord Michaels <gord_michaels AT HOTMAIL DOT COM> on 07/14/99 12:46:03 PM

      <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>

I have recently migrated from Netview 4.1 to Netview 5.1.1 (on AIX 4.2.1).
All went well with a few exceptions...

1. The Netview groups which I have previously defined were gone! i.e. in the
/usr/conf/security directory. A user did not have the same privilages as
before? Should I copy over some files from the OV.back.v4r1 directory or
something?

2. Netview attempts to start other applications which are in the
registration files but are no longer installed on the system. I saw this by
looking at the nv6000.log. Any solution?

3. Could someone explain the entire issue of X11R5 vs X11R6 and what I must
do?

Any info appreciated.

Gord.