nv-l

Re: Loading a MIB takes excessive machine resources

1999-06-21 11:25:46
Subject: Re: Loading a MIB takes excessive machine resources
From: Chris Cowan <chris.cowan AT 2ND-WAVE DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 08:25:46 -0700
James Shanks wrote:

> Are you at 5.1.1?  If not, then you should get there.  We fixed a problem
> just like that earlier.  If you are at 5.1.1 then call Support
>
> James Shanks
> Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support
>
> Chris Cowan <chris.cowan AT 2ND-WAVE DOT COM> on 06/16/99 12:07:51 PM
>
> Please respond to Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on
>       NetView <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>
>
> To:   NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU
> cc:    (bcc: James Shanks/Tivoli Systems)
> Subject:  Loading a MIB takes excessive machine resources
>
> I am at a customer with a considerable number of HACMP clusters.
> Yesterday, I attempted to load the HA MIB (hacmp.my) into Netview.
> Also, ran mib2trap to generate the trap definitions.
>
> Anyway, the file is only 29K in size.   I have not been able to
> successfully load it yet, because I haven't been patient enough o wait
> for it to finish.   So far, it has run over 30 minutes and is steadily
> consuming 98.5% of the CPU.  This is on an H50 with 512MB/1GB
> real/virtual memory.
>
> Needless to say, I'm suspicious that something is wrong.  BTW,
> xnmloadmib has been completely quiet, so far.   No errors or warnings,
> what so ever.

What was wrong.

Basically, my MIB DB was hosed because of some Cisco MIBs that had been
loaded.  Rebuilding the DB solved the problem.   That and restricting
ourselves to only the V2 to V1 (converted) MIBs from Cisco.

I have two gripes though:
1. The xnmloadmib util should be a little more verbose.   Right now, it
tells you almost nothing.   Parsers that don't at least indicate status
are bad IMHO.
2. I really wish that the group was still had the practice of "testing"
3rd Party MIBs with the NV product, like they used to.   (Particularly,
for Cisco given it's Market share!)