nv-l

Re: Netview Clients

1999-06-18 08:47:09
Subject: Re: Netview Clients
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 08:47:09 -0400
In my opinion is it your requirements that need to be adjusted.  You cannot
really manage to separate networks in one box easily.  As soon as you
connect NetView to both of them, you effectively have only one big network
and not two distinct ones.
NetView does not know you think they are distinct.  He builds one object
databases, one topology database, and one map database.  There is only one
set of daemons and whoever has update authority to maps or GUIs can make
them do whatever he or she wants.

The easiest, simplest, most straightforward solution is to have to two
smaller, cheaper boxes.   Anything else will take a lot of work to
administer and maintain, and sooner or later, someone will find a way to
see the resources he or she is not supposed to see.

Yes, web clients are less overhead but they are only for casual use.  You
don't have to have a NetView client if you can stand the overhead of
telnet sessions on the server.  But you will have to create separate maps
for the different groups of users and set that map as the default map for
when they log in.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Boulieris, Arthur" <Arthur.Boulieris AT NZ.UNISYS DOT COM> on 06/17/99 10:58:28
PM

      NetView <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>