nv-l

Re: NetView v5.1.0 upgrade stuck?

1999-06-17 09:03:49
Subject: Re: NetView v5.1.0 upgrade stuck?
From: Jon Needes <jon.needes AT ATS.UK.EDS DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:03:49 +0100
Mark Sklenarik wrote:

> Did you by any chance, do a "ps -ef > /tmp/somefile" before killing the
> install process?  It would help in determining where or at least we could
> get some idea of there the configuration process might be hung.
> This was a migration upgrade?
> What is "lannetDM"?
>
> The time it takes to do a migration upgrade all depends on how many other
> application also have to migrated.    You still have the back so you can
> repeat the procedure once you clean up system. There is a cleanup script on
> the CD.
>
> >From the messages provided, NetView had completed installation and
> configuration, it should have been in the process of starting the deamons.
>
> Thanks Mark Sklenarik
> .
> Tivoli NetView Product Integrity
> .
>
> Ken Freeman <Ken.Freeman AT WOOLWICH.CO DOT UK> on 06/17/99 06:51:26 AM
>
> Please respond to Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on
>       NetView <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>
>
> To:   NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU
> cc:    (bcc: Mark Sklenarik/Tivoli Systems)
> Subject:  NetView v5.1.0 upgrade stuck?

> Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the sender only
> and do not necessarily represent the views of WOOLWICH PLC or any
> of its subsidiaries. The sender may not be authorised to give financial
> advice and nothing in this message should be constructed as offering
> such advice.
>
> WOOLWICH PLC represents only WOOLWICH LIFE and WOOLWICH UNIT TRUST
> MANAGERS which are regulated by the Personal Investment Authority for
> Life Assurance and Unit Trust business
> I am hoping someone may be able to help with a strange problem that I have
> encountered whilst trying to upgrade my test box to NetView v5.1.0 (on AIX
> v4.2.1).
>
> I started the install at approximately 15:00 yesterday afternoon and by the
> time I needed to leave it hadn't finished so I left it running. 19 hours
> later (at 10:00 this morning) it was still running and the Install output
> box was updating with the period character to show progress. Being
> impatient
> I decided that the install should have finished and closed the window which
> resulted in the following message:
>
>         A reference to an object is invalid. The object no longer exists or
> is in a disconnected TMR.
>         Please refer to the TME 10 Framework Planning and Installation
> Guide, "TME Maintenance and Troubleshooting" for details about the wchkdb
> command or contact your Tivoli support provider.
>
> Running 'wchkdb' produced no errors so I was not unduly concerned.
>
> I then tried to apply the NetView v5.1.1 patch and received the following
> message:
>
>         The following products or patches need to be installed before you
> can continue with this portion of the installation: ``NVS_51''.
>
> The following is a list of the 'NV' installation files that were created in
> [...]

I had a similar problem when installing 5.1 and contacted support and posted
the problem on NV-L. I got no responses and suppost suggested I repeat the
installation. I removed all the Tivoli directories and started from scratch.
As Mark says, I had backed up everything I needed for the migration so it was
safe to do this. I was then able to do the installation without a problem. I
forget how long it took but it was certainly not hours. I could not see
anything done differently in the second installation and have no idea why
things went wrong the first time.

I can only suggest you follow Mark's advice and try again.

Jon Needes
EDS, Hook, UK