nv-l

Re: Loading a MIB takes excessive machine resources

1999-06-16 13:11:01
Subject: Re: Loading a MIB takes excessive machine resources
From: "Ken Garst." <KGarst AT GIANTOFMARYLAND DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:11:01 -0400
I reloaded the HACMP v4.3 MIB into our NetView host without trouble.  Instead of
running mib2trap, I generated the trap definitions manually using the NetView
GUI Options->Event Configuration->Trap Customization: SNMP and then adding the
enterprise "HACMP" with oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.3.1.2.1.5.  Next I added the following
traps under that enterprise  with the specific IDs from the HACMP MIB as
follows:

clusterState   specific 10
clusterSubstate     specific 11
nodeState specific 12
networkState   specific 13
addressState   specific 14
clusterPrimary specific 15
applState specific 16
adapterSwap    specific 17

Each of these traps has different integer values with the following definitions
(also taken from the HACMP MIB):

clusterState        up =2          down = 4   unknown = 8
clusterSubstate          unstable = 16   stable = 32    unknown = 8    error =
64
clusterPrimary      1=primary defined or 2=primary undefined
nodeState                up = 2          down = 4  joining = 32   leaving = 64
networkState        up = 2         down = 4   joining = 32   leaving = 64
addressState        up = 2         down = 4   unknown = 8

This takes about 10 minutes to do this and once done is good for all HACMP
clusters.

The trap for clusterPrimary is now obsolete and is carried over from HACMP 3.1
where a primary node had to be defined regardless of cluster configuration.

Note that in case of an HACMP failover, the NetView control desk will receive an
alarm avalanche of 26 traps, 13 for one HACMP host going down and 13 for the
alternate host taking over.

Regards,
ken
kgarst AT giantofmaryland DOT com