nv-l

Re: NetView Clients and X sessions

1999-06-03 13:09:28
Subject: Re: NetView Clients and X sessions
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 13:09:28 -0400
You can find estimating instructions in the Appendix of the NetView
Installation Guide

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Art DeBuigny <debuigny AT DALLAS DOT NET> on 06/03/99 11:39:35 AM

      NetView <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>

To:   NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU
Subject:  NetView Clients and X sessions

I was wondering if some of the Tivoli folks could lend their advice on the
following situation.

We have a need to have many ovw sessions running at the same time.  The
exact number seems to grow as we go along, so I was wondering what you
thought the impact of the following scenario would be.

What if we had a series of NetView Client machines, and operators would
open X sessions to those?  What would the overall impact on the server be
for each operator in relation to if they opened an X session directly to
the server?

If we wanted 20 ovw sessions, and spread them out over 4 clients, would the
load on the server resemble that of 4 ovw clients, 20 ovw sessions, or some
number in between?

Has anyone tried anything like this in there environment?

Art DeBuigny
Bank of America Network Operations
debuigny AT dallas DOT net