Re: Hub gets deleted after sucessful snmp query??
There is something about the HUB that NetView does not understand.
Its going to require an snmpwalk of the system, ip, interfaces mib tables
to determine what may be causing the problem. Also a netmon.trace would be
of great help to support.
What is the ifType on the interface?
It may be that NetView can not make the match between what the interfaces
table and ip table is tell it. Have seen ip tables referencing ifIndex
numbers that NetView can not locate in the interfaces table cause this
What options in netmon running with?
Thanks Mark Sklenarik
Bldg 503, 4205 South Miami Blvd, Durham, NC 27709
Email: mark.sklenarik AT tivoli DOT com Http: www.tivoli.com
Jeff Fitzwater <jfitz AT PRINCETON DOT EDU> on 06/02/99 03:55:44 PM
Please respond to Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on
NetView <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>
To: NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU
cc: (bcc: Mark Sklenarik/Tivoli Systems)
Subject: Hub gets deleted after sucessful snmp query??
I have a Cabletron hub that gets deleted within seconds of being
discovered or added via LOADHOSTS.
1. I am running Netview 5.1.1 on Solaris.
2. I have no specific entry in SNMPCONF for the hub.
3. The default SNMPCONF community is public and NODE DOWN DELETE
INTERVAL is 52w.
4. The hub gets loaded and stays, if I don't let it get discovered via
SNMP (Change default community to "junk").
5. Once the Hub is discovered by only ICMP, I then change the SNMPCONF
default community back to public and do a demand poll. The device goes
through the following events and gets deleted as you can see. I can
repeat this at will. It makes no difference if I give it a specific
6. The oid_to_type is set to H for HUB.
7. I do know that all the hubs that act this way have the sane agent
code but why does Netview delete them?
SEQUENCE of events...
1. 12:09:53 Node added
2. 12:09:53 Interface decriptor for Lan lan0 changed to "lan0"
3. 12:09:53 Interface lan0 up
4. 12:09:53 Network mask for lan0 Changed to 255.255.252.0
5. 12:09:53 Interface Type for lan0 Changed to ieee 802.3
6. 12:09:53 Link address for lam0 Changed to (none)
7. 12:09:53 System name changed
8. 12:09:53 Node up
9. 12:09:53 Interface lan0 added
10. 12:10:14 Object Identifier changed to 184.108.40.206.4.1.52
11. 12:10:24 System Description Changed to "MRXI Version
12 12:10:24 Interface lan0 Deleted
13. 12:10:24 Forwarding Status Changed -- Now a Host
14. 12:10:25 Node Deleted
Any ideas why it gets deleted???