nv-l

Re: Addition of Layer2/Layer3 switches to NV v5.1 database

1999-06-02 16:06:04
Subject: Re: Addition of Layer2/Layer3 switches to NV v5.1 database
From: Leslie Clark <lclark AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 16:06:04 -0400
Well..... Shadow icons anywhere are almost always due to an improper
cut/paste, copy/paste, or add. Offhand, I'd say that a switch almost never
belongs on the IP Internet level submap, unless it happens to have two
IP addresses with the same snmp agent. So exactly what do you mean
by 'an appempt to add'? Confess... There is good coverage of the
rules of map manipulation in the Admin Guide Chapter 3.

All you should have to do to add the switch is to ping it. It should appear
in  the appropriate Network submap (if the oid is known in the oid_to_type
file) and in the appropriate Segment submap.

If you have a floater, your best bet is to delete it (from all submaps) and
try again.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark

To all,
   During an attempt to add multiple layer 2/3 Gigabit Ethernet switches to
the NV v5.1 database, multiple copies of the same object appeared on the IP
internet map. With the understanding that I've verified that no duplicates
exist within our naming services, what else may cause these duplicates
 shadowed icons ) to appear on the GUI?

Thanks,
R.E.( Rick ) DeYoung
                                        Technical Analyst // Sprint Paranet