nv-l

Re: Monitoring network traffic

1999-03-16 16:27:38
Subject: Re: Monitoring network traffic
From: Nicaud Phil <pnicaud AT WOOLWORTHS.COM DOT AU>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 08:27:38 +1100
Hi Jennifer

This is what we do to monitor our Network performance.

When we want to do a "real time" sample of an interface, we use Netview MIB
collection to graph the ifinoctect and ifoutoctect information from an
interface every 30seconds or so. You have to be careful that you don't do
too much of this as it generates a lot of Network traffic. When monitoring
Ethernet, you can also monitor the collision rate to find out if the segment
is over-subscribed.

For historical sampling of all our routers, we use MRTG as described by
Steve. It's a great freeware package but it requires a lot of maintenance.
Every time a router changes, even for something as basic as an interface
speed upgrade, you need to edit configuration files. Also, MRTG works on a 5
minute samples so peaks are averaged out.

MRTG is great but hard work, so we have plans to replace it with Concord
Network Health which is a similar package with lots of added features. You
can find out about them on http:/www.concord.com

To keep an eye on Network changes, we use Ciscoworks2000 to check the entire
Network every 24 hours (at midnight) for configuration changes. This is our
warning that MRTG needs to be updated. We also use the Netview autodiscovery
to find new nodes. Our seedfile is setup to only discover Cisco, 3COM and a
few other devices so we don't discover workstations.

I hope this helps

Phil

CAUTION: This Message may contain confidential information intended
only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any
use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message is
prohibited. If you received this message in error please notify
Mail Administrators immediately. Any views expressed in this
message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily
reflect the views of Woolworths Ltd.