nv-l

Re: netview 5.1 nt - mlm

1999-03-09 09:34:12
Subject: Re: netview 5.1 nt - mlm
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 09:34:12 -0500
I am confused about what exactly you are trying to do, partly I think
because you have confused two very different things,  distributed NetView
as provided by MLM, and the NetView client.   Let me see if I can clarify
this for you.

The NetView client is just a way to offload GUI functions from one machine
to another.  The client does no polling function, and it seldom makes sense
to have him in a different subnet from the server.  If you do that, then
you have all the traffic between the server and the client flowing across a
router taking up a lot of network bandwidth.  There are configurations
where this is a sensible thing to do, but not many.

Distributed NetView, or MLM, is just the opposite, if you will, of the
client.  Here we are offloading daemon functions, namely discovery and
status polling, to another box.  MLM machines seldom have a GUI, though
this is now possible with NetView for NT, using the attended MLM function.
But you would not do that with a client.  Such a box would be a NetView
server in its own right, but would forward status to another NetView
somewhere else.  The advantage of attended MLM is that yoou have a local
GUI as well.  But as this is a heavy load on the box, it is not usually
used unless you plan to have operators on tht remote box all the time.

Hope this helps a little.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

OGrant <OGrant AT PEC DOT COM> on 03/08/99 05:19:00 PM

      NetView <NV-L AT UCSBVM.ucsb DOT edu>