nv-l

Re: Cabletron SPMA support ???

1999-02-10 10:59:27
Subject: Re: Cabletron SPMA support ???
From: Mel Brinkley <mbrinkle AT ARCHES.UGA DOT EDU>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 10:59:27 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Fitzwater <jfitz AT PRINCETON DOT EDU>
To: NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>
Date: Wednesday, February 10, 1999 10:22 AM
Subject: Cabletron SPMA support ???

>        OK I need some suppport on this one.  We would like to have
Cabletron
>SPMAs integrate into Netview but it is not supported on a SOLARIS
>platform.  I have discussed the issue with Cabletron and they have no
>plans to do so.  I also asked if it would be possible to develope it at
>some cost, and even that had no results.   It was apparent the presure
>must come from IBM or other users for Cabletron to move on this.   I
>just don't see what the complex issue is.

Probably, because their extensive product SPECTRUM runs on SOLARIS, and they
probably  want to avoid competing against themselves.  The SPMA's run with
NetView on AIX, but SPECTRUM will not run on AIX.  When they work the
SPMA's, are nice to have, but there seems to always be some problem in some
areas, e. g.
the firmware on the device is behind the SPMA, or the firmware on the device
is too
advanced for the SPMA or the operating system is behind the SPMA version.
Good luck but you may be in a losing battle.  You may have to use the
Spectrum Element manager on a LAN basis and I know that's not a good
suggestion either..

Mel
University Computing and Networking Services
The University of Georgia>