nv-l

Re: switched environment support

1999-02-09 14:00:11
Subject: Re: switched environment support
From: Connie Logg <cal AT SLAC.STANFORD DOT EDU>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 11:00:11 -0800
I have needed this for a couple of years now also.  I ended up solving the
problem by writing code that reads configuration information and bridge
tables out of the switches (we have cisco switches) and creating a "model"
of the network which tells me what is on which port. It is not a graphical
model, but the information can be linked into netview by writing your own
menu item to display the information for a node that is selected.

>At 01:41 PM 2/9/99 -0400, you wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am wondering if Netview provides a mechanism or add-on to support
MAC-Address based network configuration. For example, the way Netview works
for us now, say we have a Network segment (Net 160), with pc's connected to
it. When a node goes down, we know it is on 160 and where it is physically
located.

>>------+-----------+--------+--------
>>       |            |         |
>>   Net 160    pc      xxx
>>
>>We are moving to a switched environment, based on MAC-Addressing. So a PC
on Net 160 connects to an 8271 (8271A below) device which in turn is
connected to an 8274 (8274A) device. This 8274 device could be connected to
other 8274's. The pc is part of the virtual network 160 defined in the 8274
device. If we move the pc to another physical location, and connect to a
different 8271(8271B) which connects to a different 8274 (8274B) the pc can
still be part of the vlan 160. If the pc goes down, it will show as such in
the 160 segment, but we will have no way of knowing where that node is
physically connected.

>>  pc   ===>  8271 device A    --move--     pc  ==>  8271 device B
>>                        /                      pc              /
>>                       /                                       /
>>         8274 device A       connected       8274 device B
>>              net160          <========>       net160
>>               netX                                        netX
>>               netXX                                      netXX
>>
>>Does Netview provide any support for this? If not, is there an add-on product?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Matt
>>mda AT unb DOT ca

" Of course the opinions expressed here are my own. "

Connie Logg    CAL AT SLAC.Stanford DOT Edu  ph: 650-926-2879
Network Management and Performance Analyst
SLAC (MS 97), P.O. Box 4349, Stanford, CA 94309

"Happiness is found along the way, not at the end of the road."