nv-l

Re: NETVIEW vs. TEC (My .02 opinion).

1999-02-08 20:03:57
Subject: Re: NETVIEW vs. TEC (My .02 opinion).
From: "Boyles, Gary P" <gary.p.boyles AT INTEL DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 17:03:57 -0800
In my experience...
a)  I've found that you still end up writing quite a bit of "Agent"
    code on the "TEC" side of the house.  Advice... make sure you have
    some good perl programmers in-house.

b)  NetView gives you topology, and quite a lot of information about a node
    (addresses, # of interfaces, description, location, etc), where as TEC
    does not.  This does allow you to incorporate information into NetView
    decisions... that you don't normally get with TEC.

c)  You end up writing a lot of roll-your-own code on the TEC-side, and you
    use the "postemsg" command-line program with this  (which I believe is
    connectionless... correct me if I'm wrong).

d)  Losing events with SNMP -- yes it is possible to lose events this way,
    although in testing I've done across our WAN... this was about 1 in
1000.
    LAN should be even better.

    If TEC gets swamped with events = same result  (i.e. you lose events).

    I can't say one form of loss is better than the other.

e)  TEC has a better rule-processing engine (out-of-the-box), but you can
    also buy one for NetView.  In fact, I believe "MasterCell" sells a
    Prolog engine that understands baroc, and I believe integrates into
    NetView.  Don't know if its good or not, but it looked interesting!

    Personally, I'd probably go with a rule-engine with a language that more
    than a half-dozen people know.  Maybe Seagate's NerveCenter.

f)  Tivoli can supply you with agents for TEC.  A lot of other vendors can
    supply you with generic SNMP agents that provide the same function with
    NetView.  The decision is up to you... "Framework" (vs) "standardized
SNMP
    agent".  Both have advantages/drawbacks.  If you like one vendor to
supply
    everything... then you'd probably be better served with the framework
    approach.

    Just remember... if you install "passive" agents  (framework or SNMP),
you
    still should monitor them via polling to make sure that they (the
agents)
    are up-and-running.

My Advice...
a)  Test before you buy it.
b)  If you can't test it... don't buy it.
c)  Don't buy it just because the demo looked nice!
c)  Don't make decisions based on marketing hype.  For example... saying
that
    SNMP isn't reliable enough, because it connectionless.

    Ok.. that's nice to say, but prove to me that what you're selling can do
    better!  Roll your box in, and do the tests!!!

    Suggestion... create a test that sends 100,000 events, and include some
    event-bursts  (like in real life).  Have it run for 24-hours  (that's
only
    1-2 events/sec).  Look at the results.  Make a decision!

Decide what REALLY works, and what doesn't.  ...Then buy it!

Not much of an answer... but it made me feel better!!!

Have fun !!!

Gary Boyles