nv-l

Re: NV Service Point

1999-02-08 11:38:33
Subject: Re: NV Service Point
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 11:38:33 -0500
I think your customer should open a problem with Tivoli/IBM Support.

How do you measure this delay?  Is it the time difference between how long
it takes to see the event in the event window and on OS/390 NetView NPDA?
Or is it from the trap appearance in trapd.log and OS/390 NPDA?
The question is, is the NetView for AIX event window also troubled by this
delay or not?     If it is, then the problem is almost certainly one of
name resolution.  That means there is a problem with your customer's
nameserver or the way that he has name resolution set up.  If the event
window is not bothered, then you may still have a name resolution problem,
but you will need assistance in determining just where the problem lies.
This will require a call to Support and a Service Point trace.

As for ovesmd and ovelmd, those are the names of the executables, but not
the names of the daemons.  Often they are the same, but in this case they
are not.  The daemon for ovesmd is called the ems_sieve_agent.  The daemon
for ovelmd is called the ems_log_agent.  To control them individually, you
must use their correct names:
      ovstart/ovstop/ovstatus   ems_sieve_agent
      ovstart/ovstop/ovstatus   ems_log_agent
If you just do   ovstatus  | more   you will see the correct name in the
field "object manager name".

All you accomplished with your ovaddobj is to re-register the daemon with
exactly the same characteristics, since the name is specified in the lrf
file that way.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Jens Hahn <hahnj AT DE.IBM DOT COM> on 02/08/99 11:03:47 AM

      NetView <NV-L AT UCSBVM.ucsb DOT edu>