nv-l

Re: database error

1999-02-02 13:48:26
Subject: Re: database error
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 13:48:26 -0500
Sergio -

There is an object database, a topology database, and a map database.  In
the map database, there are completely separate structures for each map.
Each of these databases has entries which point to objects/structures in
the others and these must remain in sync or you get the kind of failures
you are seeing.

I don't know how your system got into this condition, so that neither the
network nor an object which belongs in the network are present in the
object database.    That means that there are "orphan" objects in your
topology database.   Do an ovtopodump -v  and redirect that to a file.  The
edit the file and find those objects.  They have to be there.   You should
be able to get from them a selection name.  Then you should be able to try
to locate that name on (all) your map(s).  If you find them, then delete
them from all submaps.  You must check each map you have (ovwls will tell
you their names so that you may open them).  If you tell me that you still
cannot find these things on your maps, then,  you should call Support and
tell them about it.  They will help you through a procedure to delete such
objects which can be used as a last resort, but not without a complete
backup of /usr/OV/databases/openview.
The  Support folks will also want to know what preceded this problem.  Were
you doing maintenance and it failed?  Did a daemon (netmon/ovwdb/ovtopmd)
or your GUI (ipmap) core?   This is not a normal occurrence.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Sergio Cardona F <sergcafe AT apolo.visiontech.com DOT co> on 02/01/99 05:13:02
PM

Please respond to sergcafe AT visiontech.com DOT co