nv-l

Re: Cisco Device packages

1999-02-01 18:51:58
Subject: Re: Cisco Device packages
From: Leslie Clark <lclark AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 18:51:58 -0500
Well, I'm NOT real familiar with Ciscoworks, just real familiar with
Netview. And I do know that users
only see menu entries for things that are in the application registration
files in /usr/OV/registration/C.
If you are using Netview security, you can control which users can execute
different menu functions,
but I generally avoid Netview security if I can. If you are using it,
though, investigate the function for
creating SRFs from ARFs (security registration files from application
registration files. Something
like srf2arf.

If you are not using security, you can still give different users different
menus by setting a variable
that tells Netview where the registration directory is (it only defaults to
/usr/OV/registration/C). Then
copy the registration files there and edit out the entries for the
functions you don't want them to have.
That variable is OVwRegDir. For an interesting side effect,  if you export
OVwRegDir=/u/user/regdir
and that directory is empty, then the user will get a map with only the
File button on it, and the only
function under File will be Exit.

Another way, if the functions are in separate files, is to change the
permissions on the actual registration
files so that certain users can read them and others cannot.

The proper coding of registration files is documented in the Programmer's
Guide, which you probably
installed online, since books are all or nothing these days, and you have
to install books to get
online help.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark

Thanks, Leslie, one other ,  thing since you seem real familiar with the
product,
     Do you know how to regulate the security of Ciscoview when it does
not run on ciscoworks?
     That  is, I'd like say ROOT to be able to do all functions, but the
Netview operators not to be able to reload a router, or configure anything.
     Is there a way to prevent those options from being active in the
pull down menus?