nv-l

NetView for AIX

1999-01-29 16:07:55
Subject: NetView for AIX
From: Leslie Clark <lclark AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 16:07:55 -0500
I would suggest sticking at AIX 4.2.1 with current PTF levels, since I
don't think either
Optivity or CisoWorks is expected to work on AIX 4.3. Actually I think
neither is certified
for Netview 5.1, but everyone is doing it - just not in AIX 4.3  Anyone
else have newer
experiences with this?

So I would put Netview V5.1 on both systems, AIX 4.2.1 on both systems.
Assuming
AIX V4 will run on a 250. I would call  CALL-AIX and ask about that.

The migration will take a little longer than the fresh install, since it is
a backup,
deinstall, reinstall process. An experienced practitioner might be able to
do both
in one week if all goes well. In real life I might allow for two or three
times that.

That said, my estimates have often kept me up past my bedtime. Better get
some more opinions.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark

I have a client that currnetly has the following two configurations:

1)      RS/6000 59H
        AIX 4.2.0
        Netview 4.1.2
        Optivity NMS 8.1
        CiscoWorks 4.0
        CiscoView 4.1(1.0)
        CWSI 1.3

2)      RS/6000 250
        AIX 3.2.3
        Netview 3.1.1
        Optivity 6.1

The current plan for the first system is to upgrade to CiscoWorks 2000
(CWSI Campus) as CWSI 1.3 is not Y2K ready.
A recent response from Tivoli support also recommended upgrading to Netview
5.1 as the 4.x product will no longer be
supported after Q2 1999.  Can anyone confirm this and let me know if there
are any roadblocks that they might
encounter if they do upgrade to Netview 5.1?  Also, would it be possible
for anyone to give a ball park estimate as to the
amount of time required for one resource to perform the upgrade?

For the second system, the client has plans to upgrade to AIX 4.3 and
Optivity 8.1.  Since the apps on this server are not
mission critical they will most likely wipe the server and do a fresh
install instead of a more  complicated AIX migration.
Netview 3.1.1 will not support Optivity 8.1, should they install Netview
5.1?  Will an RS/6000 model 250 even support
Netview 5.1? Can anyone give a ball park estimate for the amount of time
required for one resource to do a fresh install
of Netview 5.1?

Thanks,
Mike Dawson